This blog was written by Anna Hiple. Meet our blogging fitness specialists at the NIFS website.
The puzzle pieces of successful weight loss or maintenance are not limited to gym visits. They include healthy eating habits as well. Adopting a nutritious diet can seem daunting, so making small changes that add up is often an effective strategy.
Look into how you can incorporate some of the following tips into your own cooking and eating habits:
- Swap cream and whole milk for skim milk in your coffee and cereal.
- Substitute egg whites for whole eggs.
- Use applesauce in baked goods in place of oil.
- Choose lower-fat versions of yogurt and cheese.
- Use nonstick cooking spray instead of oil or butter.
- Trim the fat from meat, remove the skin, and prepare it through baking, grilling, or broiling instead of frying.
- Use spices to pump up flavor.
- Eat whole grains instead of refined. They’re nutritious and will keep your stomach satisfied longer.
- Pile on the veggies in sandwiches instead of cheese, extra meat, and mayo.
- Use condiments like mustard, ketchup, vinaigrette, and hummus more often than mayo and high-fat creamy dressings.
- Create bulk on a salad with extra veggies―not bacon bits or cheese.
- Order a cup of soup prior to the meal. This will reduce your appetite.
- Split an entrée with a spouse or friend.
- Ask for dressings and condiments on the side.
- Order grilled or baked foods instead of those that are breaded or fried.
- Choose a baked potato or salad as a side dish.
What other tips do you have that work for you?