Living in the country can have its share of pros and cons when it comes to getting in your recommended daily activity. Although you might not have access to a fitness center at your fingertips, here is a list of 10 ways for seniors to stay active in multiple wellness dimensions while living in a rural area:
- Can you dig it? Try gardening! Plant your seeds and reap the benefits with a bouquet of flowers, a variety of vegetables, and some new herbs to spice up your daily activity as well as your meals.
- Enjoy some time with nature by going on a nature hike! With the scenery ever changing, this can be a beautiful change up to your typical cardiovascular exercise routine. So don’t delay, lace up your shoes and take a hike!
- Go for a swim at a local lake or community pool. This activity uses the gentle resistance of water to strengthen your muscles. It is easier on joints and the buoyancy of the water is effective for those with balance issues. Don’t forget your water floaties!
- Walk a pet. Take your favorite companion around the block for some good company during your exercise. Maybe you start with a short distance that increases over time as you and your pet improve your stride and endurance together.
- Not feeling like going outside? Then workout to a fitness DVD! Pick out a yoga, gentle aerobics or senior boot camp DVD to do at your own pace in the comfort of your home. What other workout DVDs do you recommend?
- Go to the mall! Do laps around your local mall to get your steps in each day. You don’t have to go into a store and make a purchase if you don’t want to, but this is a great option whether the weather is rain or shine!
- Camping with the family. Helping set up camp and carrying a pack can be a great way to burn calories while spending time with your loved ones. Just avoid eating too many roasted marshmallows to gain back all of the hard earned calories that you just burned off!
- Check off the “honey-do” list. Kill two birds with one stone by doing chores around the house while making your spouse overwhelmingly appreciative of you! Dust, vacuum, do the laundry or put way the dishes and work off calories all the while!
- Do work around the yard. Spend a nice, sunny afternoon outside by mowing, pruning and raking your yard. Have a home improvement project that you’ve been putting off? Then now is a great time to conquer it! Your neighbors will be impressed by how immaculate your yard looks, and you will be reaping the benefits of your activity!
- Play with your grandkids at a park or playground. Tap into your inner child and participate in the games that suit your fancy! These are memories that your grandchildren will cherish for the rest of their lives.
What ways have you found to be fit in your area? Keep in mind these safety recommendations to optimize your overall wellness. Don’t live in a rural area? Then check out this blog about Ways to Stay Fit in the City!