Bad habits often compromise a healthy lifestyle. No matter what your bad habit is, you can tackle it by identifying your weaknesses changing your mind’s focus. Take a moment and use these tips on how to change bad habits.
Identifying Bad Habits
First, identify your bad habits and what keeps you from changing them:
- Make a list of your good and bad habits. Recognize those habits you would like to change.
- Organize a plan when cravings for bad habits return. Know how you will handle these cravings. If possible, try to avoid them.
- Recognize the barriers that will keep you from changing your bad habits. Avoid situations and people that will cause you to resort to performing your bad habits.
Break the Cycle and Change Your Behavior
Depending on what your bad habit is, a number of tricks can help you break the cycle. For example:
- Avoid using food or other substances (smoking, drinking, etc.) to comfort yourself. Instead, use other, less damaging techniques such as listening to soothing music or chewing gum.
- Avoid sugary drinks. Keep bottles of water at home and at work. If you don’t like drinking plain water, try flavored, but make sure you select a low- or no-sugar option.
- If you just can’t stop slouching, set a timer on your watch for every few minutes. Use the alarm as a reminder to check your posture and sit or stand up straight. Keep lengthening the time intervals as you get better at keeping your posture a priority.